Where may an adult be harmed?

Harm can take place anywhere that the adult spends time, whether at home, in someone else’s home, a care setting such as a day centre or residential home or anywhere else that someone may make them feel unsafe.

The Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act gives the council the duty to make inquiries if they believe that an adult is at risk. Social workers will investigate the circumstances and also have the powers to look at records, ask for a medical examination and to interview the adult who may be at risk.